Saturday, January 4, 2014

13 Favorites of 2013!!!

Hi There Friends,

I am shocked that 2013 is over! It was a bit of a roller coaster year for me with highlights of graduating from graduate school, going on my first real vacation as an adult, got a grownup job with A LOT of responsibility and I got a new car (because I crashed the other one). Below are my favourite products of 2013. Most of them I would not want to live without and have repurchased.



Moroccan Oil Luminous Hairspray (travel sized can) $9 at Chatters
I was introduced to this product following a frantic call to my hairdresser and bestie after an attempt to duplicate a Nicole Guerriero hairstyle from Youtube. She suggested it for its shine and flexible but sturdy hold. I decided to buy a small can because I have another GIANT can that makes my hair so helmet hard that I could probably play for the Stamps and not receive a head injury (I kid, I kid). I also do not wear a lot of hairspray in general so I didn't want a big can to have to use up if I hated it. Anyways... the hairspray is fabulous and held my style from mid afternoon into the wee hours of the morning (I was at a wedding). 

Here's the link for the hairstyle I was attempting because I know you are interested: 

Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat $9 (or around there) at Sally's Beauty Supply
I love this top coat! It is a quick dry formula and makes my polish last longer.  The quick dry is key here because my attention span does not allow for me to sit  quietly for an hour while my nails dry. This is my third bottle of this stuff. The only draw back is once you are halfway through the bottle it turns into a glue like consistency and you can't use it. To fix this I drop in some nail polish thinner and it is good to go again!


From L to R: Benefit They're Real Mascara $29 at Shopper's Drugmart, Maybelline Great Lash Clear Mascara $7.59 at Well.ca, Maybelline Colour Tattoo 24 Hour Cream Gel Shadow $8.99 at Well.ca
I picked up Benefit's They're Real Mascara after EVERYONE on youtube was raving about it. I didn't care for the price tag and didn't really like it at first. It has really grown on me and now it is my go to mascara for when I'm feeling dramatic (which is always).

I stumbled upon Maybelline's Great Lash after being disappointed by the high cost of eyebrow gels in Sephora. I started using it to keep my brows in place and it works like a charm!  It is also VERY affordable. I like that the brush is straight because it is easy to work with.  I've used clear mascaras with curved brushes and I end up making a much bigger mess than I intended.


I picked up the Maybelline Colour Tattoo 24 Hour Cream Gel Shadow (that is a mouthful!) after I ran out of my beloved MAC paintpot. Superstore was having a massive sale on these puppies so I picked up all the colours that interested me. I recommend keeping an eye for sales and picking them up them. I reach for this one the most and have hit pan on it.   It also compliments all of my crazy colour eyeshadow colours when I'm feeling "creative".

Back to Front: Urban Decay The Great and Powerful Oz Palette in Glinda (Limited Edition) around $45 CAN on ebay.ca, Stila All Day Waterproof Liquid Liner in Carbon Black $26 at Shopper's Drugmart, NYX Eye/Eyebrow Pencil in 915 Taupe $7.99 (approx) at Rexall.
 It should come at no surprise that I am a sucker for all things OZ. I named my blog Ruby Glitter makeup after Dorothy's beloved shoes.  I was so excited when I found out UD was releasing these pallets and forced my roomate to drive me to multiple Sephoras to find it.  This pallet works for my skin tone and most of the colours are very wearable everyday so I get a lot of use out of it. I also REALLY REALLY love the packaging. It's very whimsical. 












Top to Bottom: Laura Mercier Shimmer Bloc in Golden Mosaic $49 at Sephora,  LORAC Perfectly Lit Oil-Free Luminizer $32 at lorac.com.  
I picked up both of these mini's in a sample box from sephora that contained luminizers, bronzers and blushes. I like to do that so I can try out many different products without committing to a full size.  The Laura Mercier Shimmer Bloc to contour and bronze my face. I also have used it as eyeshadow. It's very versatile and multipurpose. 

I am absolutely OBSESSED with the LORAC Perfectly Lit Oil-Free Luminizer and get compliments almost every time I wear it. Also- it does not leave me looking like a 16 year old discoball which is important because I am a grown up now (or so they tell me).  I don't know what is happening with LORAC because the brand is not carried in any of the local Sephoras.  I will be ordering this online at some point (hopefully with the LORAC pro pallet as well). 




Top to Bottom: MAC Powder Blush in Well Dressed $21 (US, I couldn't find the Canadian price), Vaseline Lip Therapy in Cherry $1 at Field's (a discount bargain store). 
I have been longing to pick up MAC's Well Dresses for several years now. It is a pretty pink blush that is buildable but prevents me from looking like a circus clown (I generally go in that direction).  I highly recommend this blush for people who don't want to fuss with thousands of blushes and simply want something that will always look good. 

I picked up this Vaseline Lip Therapy while working in Ft. Smith, NWT. It was crazy on sale at the Field's Store so I bought a couple. I was probably going through beauty product purchase withdrawal at the time. This is one of the few lip balms out there that does not create a crazy dependency cycle of hydrating then drying (I'm looking at you EOS lip balms!).  These lip balms last FOREVER and have a pleasant taste without colour. 




L to R: Peter Thomas Roth Glycolic Acid 10 percent Hydrating Gel $55 at Sephora, Andalou Naturals Beta Hydroxy Complex Recovery Cream $24.95 at andalou.com
I love this Peter Thomas Roth product! This is my third time purchasing it.  I notice a big difference in my skin when I use it.  It also appears to help clear up my skin which is important. My skin looks fresher and clearer too! Highly recommend this one!

The Andalou cream is a new favourite but definitely earned it's spot on this list! It is an overnight hydrating AND clearing cream. In my opinion this cream defies the laws of science. When I wake up in the morning after using this cream the acne scars and hyper pigmentation have faded and the inflammation is noticeably reduced. For a while I had brutal cystic acne on my jaw line and this cream managed to shrink it. It is also not harsh and does not leave your skin flaking off. I will obviously repurchase this one. The only down side is it smells strongly of oranges which made me very hungry for mandarins at bedtime. I guess I can live with that!




L to R: Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micelle Solution $39 at Shopper's Drugmart (on sale), Queen Helen Mint Julep Masque under $10 at Salley's Beauty Supply
I love bioderma! Especially the LARGE bottle with the convenient pump. I am a notorious heavy handed pourer (don't ask me to make your drinks) so the pump helps me save a A LOT of product spillage. The only problem is the giant bottle of bioderma is very difficult to find. When I do find it I usually stock up on two bottles so I don't need to worry about it. I use this product on my eyes and face to begin the makeup removal process. The only problem with Bioderma is it doesn't do a good job removing high quality and waterproof mascaras which means I have to have an elaborate mascara removing process to get everything off. Am I the only one who has this experience? Nobody seems to be talking about it.

I have had this tub of Queen Helen's for an eternity. That explains why it looks so busted up. It is only a halfway done too! I'm not concerned about bacteria because I always use a q-tip. My advice to you is do not buy the giant tub of this product. You won't need it all. The smaller jars are also inexpensive and you can always repurchase as needed. I use this mask as both a spot treatment and mask. It has that classic green mask look and reduces the appearance of my pores. It draws out the impurities in the skin (I have lots of those!) and makes your face look and feel refreshed.


And there you have it! All of my 2013 favourites! Apparently I can't count because there are actually 16 favourities. Guess I got carried away! I am very excited and optimistic for 2014 and hope you are too! 

... And Remember You're Beautiful!
XO

Note: All pictures are my own unless otherwise specified.
Another Note: Prices are approximations and may change depending on the store and sales :)

No comments:

Post a Comment